Re: Looking at an existing database... (Oracle 7.3 on NT)

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 14:04:49 -0000

What an amazing situation to be in!

The NT service names are pretty easy to identify, seeing as how they all start Oracle...

for 7.3 you will have two services for your database

OracleStart<sid> &
OracleService<sid>

assuming that the username and password you have been given are for a dba account.

  1. find out the sid by looking at the service names as above
  2. from a command prompt issue the following set oracle_sid=<sid> sqlplus username/password

this will get you into the database.

"select * from dba_data_files;" will give you info on your datafiles
"select * from v$controlfile" will give you info on your control files
"select * from v$logfile" will give you info on your redo logs.

these files are the minimum you need to backup, and in the absence of archive logs you need to back them up with the db shutdown.

As for tables indexes,tablespaces etc the dba_ views are the place to start, so

dba_tables & dba_tab_columns for tables
dba_indexes & dba_ind_columns for indexes
dba_views for views & so on.

I agree wholeheartedly with Sybrand when he says buy the Oracle DBA handbook. I'd aslo suggest that you buy the Oracle Complete refernece book as well. In fact given that they've dumped you in it your employer should be buying these - unless you are looking for a job in Oracle elsewhere.

It is also likely as Sybrand says that the decision not to upgrade is the result of either stupidity or apathy on the part of the company you work for. This is not necessarily the case however as you cannot in general assess the database support issue on its own. All databases are accessed by applications and in some if not many cases these apps are not certified for use on any current version of Oracle.

HTH

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
"Kelly-Anne Frendo" <kfrendo_at_bvb.gi> wrote in message

> I have been given an existing Oracle database, which I will need to
maintain
> and administer.
> However, I know nothing about the database files, locations, table
> structure, service names, etc.
> All I know is a username and password, and I have no experience with
Oracle