Re: oracle 8.1.5 i "ORACLE: not available" installation problem

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 16:36:23 GMT

In our last gripping episode raymondlopez_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> It simply means oracle is not running.
> go in as 'svrmgrl' and connect internal
> and type 'startup'
> This will echo few lines like
> .. oracle instance started ...,
> total SGA ..and finally .. Database opened.
> - now exit out
>
> - now run the 'dbca'
> This is a just to run the database creation assistant without
> complaints.
>
> Don't forget to do the setup for autostartup of the database later.
>
> Regards,
> Raymond.
>
> In article <dUF36.230244$yO2.6881390_at_telenews.teleline.es>,
> "renato dall'armi" <renato_dallarmi_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> > hi there, I'm trying to install oracle on my sparc ultra 60. I'm
 using
> > solaris 2.6, I did not install any solaris patch ( i'm not aware of
 any).
> > The installation seem to go fine, but when the db assistant starts,
 and it
> > is trying to create a database ( if choose one with pre set
 properties form
> > the cd the outcome is the same) , I get an error: "ORACLE: not
 available"
> > any tip?
> > Renato Dall'armi
> >

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Oracle may well be running, although the permissions are not correct as the installation was performed as 'root'. Since the oracle executable was started as 'root' it is not available to users other than 'root'. The proper account to install oracle from is the 'oracle' system user. Uninstall oracle, log in as 'oracle', then install the software again.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com