does utl_http work ?

From: Frank_Calfo <frank_calfo_at_eli.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 16:19:52 GMT

I'm testing the utl_http.request() method with this procedure:

procedure sp_http_test
as
rc VARCHAR2(4000);
begin
  rc := utl_http.request('http://www.google.com/');   dbms_output.put_line('result = ' || SUBSTR(rc, 1, 100)); exception
  WHEN UTL_HTTP.REQUEST_FAILED THEN

    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('HTTP Request Failed!');
 WHEN UTL_HTTP.INIT_FAILED THEN
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('HTTP initialization failed!');
end;

this works fine the first time I call the procedure but the second time I call it, I lose my connection to Oracle from the utility I'm using (TOAD and PowerBuilder) to call the procedure

is utl_http in Oracle 8.0.6.0.0 reliable enough to use? Received on Tue Jan 02 2001 - 10:19:52 CST