Re: What file can I use to determine if the instance is up ?

From: R. Scott Hunter <robertscothunter_at_aol.comnospam>
Date: 03 Jan 2001 04:28:00 GMT

That shutdown before startup approach is a nice clean way to deal with the leftover lock file problem. You DON'T want to directly delete that file unless you are absolutely sure Oracle is down. Also the shutdown/startup process can help with the cleanup of residual ipcs baggage that would otherwise cause problems-- and anything that would crash Oracle so bad as to leave the sgadef file around is likely to leave trash in the form of semaphores or other memory objects owned by the Oracle owner. If you do have a bad Oracle crash, after doing a shutdown, do an ipcs and make sure nothing is left hanging around in memory owned by Oracle (unless of course you have more than one instance!!) and use ipcrm to get rid of it first. We just had this happen the other day.

R. Scott Hunter
Please respond to: rshunter_at_navy.org
GO NAVY!