Re: OCI client cursor

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rii.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 21:26:25 GMT

In article <92pk67$m5r$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   vityat_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hello!
> I need to make queries from Oracle( ver 8) , I'm using OCI on Windows
> NT.
> I want to get all the result set to my application on the client , so
> can to work on it in my application and free the connection for
 another
> work( another queries).
> I heard that there are client-side cursor in PL/SQL , but I can not
> find in the documentation anything.
> Please help me. How can I do it , with PL/SQL cursors or may be some
> other way.
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

There is alot in the manuals. Look in the application programming under OCI for creating cursor.

You can also create client side cursors in PL/SQL. Look for 'ref cursor'.

As to your question on freeing up the connection, you cannot free up the connection if you are still using a cursor. By definition, the cursor requires a connection to continue.

Your problem sounds very vague or you may be misunderstanding the operation of OCI. Generally speaking, one opens a connection and leaves it open until the application is complete. One can creates, uses and closes multiple cursors. One can also create multiple connection ( multi-threaded operation). Generally speaking a connection does not significantly limit the processing of the database. It does consume some resources but it should be minimal.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com