Re: Tool needed: getting data out of the database NOT using EXPORT

From: Don't Bother <davidknollhoff_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 18:29:03 GMT

The fastest way, hands down in your case is to create SQL*LOADER control files and import using SQL*LOADER. You would create this through SQL*PLUS. There are several examples around the net but if you want, I can send you one I've used in the past.

With SQL*LOADER, you can bypass the redo logs, load in parallel mode and create indexes in parallel mode. Much faster..

Please reply to me at davidknollhoff_at_netscape.net if you want some examples.

DK

In article <3A4C9893.B9582BBF_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>,   Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:
> > problem. You'll need to check. If it's moving data regularly,
 Oracle8i has
> > functionality like transportable tablespaces which might help.
 I've never

> I doubt that this would help the original poster since one of the
> databases is Oracle 7 which does not support import or export of
> transportable tablespaces.
>
> > In regards to export, have you used the direct=y option? My
 experience it
> > improves speed. Also, to separate drive on database server from
 database
> > files helps.
>
> Using the DIRECT=Y option will certainly speed up the export, but will
> not help the import.
>
> Another option to try would be to set up a database link to the remote
> database and then use an INSERT with SELECT statment. For instance, if
> there was a "remote_db" link to the remote database, then on the local
> system, one could issue:
> INSERT INTO remote_table_at_remote_db SELECT * FROM local_table;
> Or you could go the other way, make the source database the remote
 one.
> Additionally, you could use the COPY command.
>
> HTH,
> Brian

> Brian Peasland
> Raytheons Systems at