Re: Oracle vs SQl Server

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 21:38:54 +1100

I might only comment that redo has absolutely zilch to do with "provid[ing] the mechanism for allowing all readers to continue reading data"... that is ROLLBACK, not redo.

I might also add that Oracle doesn't "try to grab" anything: the size of each Oracle Instance is entirely determined by the settings which you, the DBA, make in the respective init.oras.

I might finally add that the presence of free space within a tablespace has absolutely zero effect on performance -unless it is a lot of little bits of free space. In which case, we can confidently state that you have allowed fragmentation to occur, and it is the *fragmentation* which is the issue, not the amount of free space.

Apart from all that, you aren't a million miles wrong.

Regards
HJR