Please help ! Email sending from server - errors

From: <hnene_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 21:51:38 GMT

Hi,
 I want to implement email sending mechanism from oracle server. I don't want it to be done through polling or job.   From the oracle documentation it seems pretty straight forward (example code at the end).

 So I copied and pasted the example code to one sql file. The procedure "send_mail" compiled without problem. But while calling it from another sql procedure gave following runtime errors :

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-29540: class oracle/plsql/net/TCPConnection does not exist
ORA-06512: at "SYS.UTL_TCP", line 533
ORA-06512: at "SYS.UTL_TCP", line 199
ORA-06512: at "SYS.UTL_SMTP", line 99
ORA-06512: at "SYS.UTL_SMTP", line 121
ORA-06512: at "SECOND.SEND_MAIL", line 8
ORA-06512: at line 5

ERROR Code meanings from Oracle Database

ORA-29540 class string does not exist

     Cause: Java method execution failed to find a class with the indicated name.

     Action: Correct the name or add the missing Java class.

---
ORA-06512 at stringline string

     Cause: Backtrace message as the stack is unwound by unhandled
exceptions.

     Action: Fix the problem causing the exception or write an exception
handler for this condition. Or you may need to contact your application
administrator or database administrator.

  I could not make out what really caused this and how to fix this. Has
anyone experienced this ? Can you please help me out ?

  I'm on Oracle 8.16.

Thank you,
Regards,
-H

Here's the example code given in Oracle Documentation:

PROCEDURE send_mail (sender    IN VARCHAR2,

                     recipient IN VARCHAR2,

                     message   IN VARCHAR2)

IS

    mailhost    VARCHAR2(30) := 'mail.mycompany.com';-- this is replaced
by correct domain
    mail_conn  utl_smtp.connection;

BEGIN

    mail_conn := utl_smtp.open_connection(mailhost, 25);

    utl_smtp.helo(mail_conn, mailhost);

    utl_smtp.mail(mail_conn, sender);

    utl_smtp.rcpt(mail_conn, recipient);

    utl_smtp.data(mail_conn, message);