Re: Scalable Performace - Inserts/Updates

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:18:45 -0000

Comments in-line.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases

Publishers:  Addison-Wesley
See a first review at:
http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/index.htm#practical_8i
More reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

Joel Garry wrote in message <92b22u$vg4$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...

>In article <977519319.7059.0.nnrp-13.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>,
> "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Is it the performance or the safety you worry about ?
>
>Haven't seen any real requirements defined for either, now that you
>mention it.
>

>> Yes, the SAN on a fibre can be faster than a local
>> disk, especially since SANs tend to come complete
>> with battery backed buffers.
>>
>> Yes, the SAN is as safe as the local disk (it must
>> be or you wouldn't be able to run any Oracle data
>> file on it at all).
>
>Well, why couldn't you run Oracle on an unsafe disk? At least, until
>it actually does something wrong!

At least it would give you some peace of mind. You could be confident that something was going to go wrong; whereas with safe disks, you have room for doubt ;) On the other hand I had to guess that your guts were complaining because of an assumed new danger. Be comforted - if it is not safe to put the redo logs on the SAN, you ought to get the rest of the database off there too.
>To split some obvious hairs: Battery backup has nothing to do with
>transfer rate (excepting 0 rate with no power of course).
I think you may have missed BUFFER as the operative word. In terms of speed, the SAN buffer technology can be particularly helpful for improving throughput on redo logs.