Re: Looking at an existing database... (Oracle 7.3 on NT)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:28:32 +0100

Lucky you!!! Oracle 7.3 will be desupported on December 31, 2000 You are not asking us to provide a complete DBA course, do you. Get the Oracle DBA handbook ASAP (or refer to the Oracle Server Administrators manual, online at http://technet.oracle.com) For a brief overview of the database
refer to
http://www.oracle.com/oramag/code/tips2000/Tip25.html

You'll need to change the filenames to NT style but that's all there is to it.
As for the passwords they have been posted here so many times that currently any hacker could know them.

If you are on the server, the only thing you need to do is to set the environment variable ORACLE_SID to an appropiate value, you can get them from the OracleService<SID> name, using the last 4 positions, and you can connect without service names.

Obviously, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes, and I'm completely stunned by the situation you're in. I fail to understand what is going on at this site, that they didn't do anything to upgrade (the desupport notice has been out for 2 years now) and entrust you with this task.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Kelly-Anne Frendo" <kfrendo_at_bvb.gi> wrote in message news:A3C801763DAFD411A57900508B9AAF97291B_at_HEARTOFGOLD...

> I have been given an existing Oracle database, which I will need to
 maintain
> and administer.
> However, I know nothing about the database files, locations, table
> structure, service names, etc.
> All I know is a username and password, and I have no experience with
 Oracle