Re: Dealock on Rollback Segment (I think)

From: <buckeye714_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 17:32:57 GMT

One of the 8 process get's an ora-00060. I have included the Deadlock graph from the trac file below:

Session 27 got rolled back. Session 25 then ran to completion.

According to OEM (Top Sessions), the objects locked were rollback segments. I don't think I entirely understand how the rollback segment is involved in this. Here is a scenario I imagine: If a row is being updated, does the entire block that the row is in get moved to a rollback segment? If process one has a lock on that rollback segment and then process two needs to update a different row in the same block, which would now be in the rollback segment, then process two would have to wait. Correct? If process one then needs a row from a block that is in a rollback segment that process two has locked, we would have a deadlock.

Is this a realistic scenario? If so, how do I avoid it? If not, can you shed some light or give me another direction to look into?

Again, thanks for your help.

Patrick

In article <92frts$iaq$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Luggy <dgh_consulting_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> Hi Patrick.
>
> We might need a bit more info on this one.
>
> What makes you think it is a deadlock? Do any of the processes roll
> back? Do any of the processes complete? Do some/all appear to be
> hanging? If so, are you sure they are waiting on resource?
>
> Please post formatted output from v$lock (I can post a script to do
> this if required - there are many out there).
>
> Also, what are the differences between your test and production
> environments? Have you got less/more larger/smaller rollback segments
> on live?
>
> Dave.
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/