Re: I just want to join to one more table!

From: <jdorlon_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 20:20:00 GMT

It looks like based on your query that you are using Siebel's TelSell application.

I went through some problems with it recently because of a bug in 8.0.5 and 8.1.5 (only those versions, nothing before or after). Our situation was this Siebel HAD to run under the rule-based optimizer. If it ran under cost, performance was terrible.

One day, we rebuilt a bunch of indexes. Some of them were really big so we used the PARALLEL option.

  As it turns out, in 8.0.5 and 8.1.5, if any of your indexes are marked as parallel, then oracle will use the CBO with queries running against the tables that have parallel indexes - even if you have the init.ora parameter OPTIMIZER=RULE, or a /*+ RULE */ hint. The only way to get things back to normal is to 'alter index xyz NOPARALLEL'.

So it might be that you are adding a table that has an index which was rebuilt in parallel, and you are expecting to use the RBO but in fact you are using the CBO.

hth,
John

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Dec 28 2000 - 14:20:00 CST