Re: Problem with Oracle float type

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_pro-ns.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 16:00:42 GMT

Check NUMWIDTH setting in sqlplus. It's usually 10, which is not enough in your case. Thus it works when you set correct format or increase numwidth. As for ADO (what is it?), it's an application problem, not a server one. If it uses OCI interface, you are in trouble. Double float has width 16 decimal digits only, not enough here. So if you bind double float to this column, you get ... right, 2.30! The only way to get such number through binding is to convert it to character in sql statement, binding that column to a string, and convert string to decimal afterwards.

In article <92ead4$dvp$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   daning_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Sorry for something is not clear. I can display the correct data by
> setting "Col A format ..." in SQL plus. the real problem is I use ADO
> to access the the table, and ADO could only get value as 2.30.
>
> maybe here is not the right place to post this question.
>
> In article <92e3oc$8sd$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> daning_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I got a problem when insert data to a column with float data type,
 here
> > is my steps.
> >
> > 1. create table m_test (a float);
> >
> > 2. insert into m_test values(2.2999999999999998);
> >
> > 3. select * from m_test;
> >
> > this is what I got

> > ----------
> > 2.3
> >
> > I dont want Oracle server displays this value to me, I need the value
> > 2.2999999999999998, which has been inserted. I believe that the
> > 2.2999999999999998 has been stored in the database. because if you do
> > select * from m_test where a=2.3, you get nothing. It looks weird.
 Does
> > anybody have idea?
> >
> > I am running Oracle 8.1.6 on NT.
> >
> > thank you in advance.