Re: default index tablespace?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 19:27:13 +1100

Comments below.

<wutang_warrior_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:92eclj$fmn$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Must I specify the tablespace for my indexes with all my DDL?
> isn't there a default_index_tablespace for dba_users?

No. You set a 'default tablespace' for all Users (including SYS and SYSTEM). That's the tablespace in which segments will be stored unless the relevant "create" statement explicitly states otherwise. In this regard, Oracle makes no distinction between table segments and index segments. They're both segments, and both would end up in the same default tablespace.

However, it's just sloppy practice not to explicitly state the required tablespace at create time, so it shouldn't be an issue.

> What about the different names given to the Index tablespace between
> Oracle versions?

Who cares? Oracle certainly doesn't. ALL tablespaces, bar SYSTEM, have names which are at the whim and mercy of the relevant DBA. You can call your data tablespace "DATA", "DATA01", "USERS" or "HAPPYNEWYEAR" -Oracle won't mind one way or another. And the same goes for the Index tablespace. So the names different DBAs use has precisely zilch to do with the version you are using.

>can I just change it to whatever I like when creating
> my DB or do catalog.sql, catproc.sql, etc... rely on it?

See above. No they don't. Catalog builds the data dictionary views -it's only concerned with finding a tablespace called SYSTEM. Catproc is concerned with enabling PL/SQL functionality and building certain key packages -which also reside in SYSTEM.

>I suppose
> their indexes just sit in the SYSTEM tablespace....

They certainly do.

HJR