Re: Oracle point-in-time recovery

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:26:50 GMT

I think I know where your confusion lies....

Oracle 8i (Standard Edition and Enterprise Edition) both support point in time recovery. And you can perform this point in time recovery against a tablespace, a datafile, or the database if you choose.

Beginning with Oracle 8i, you can now use the Transportable Tablespace feature to perform tablespace point in time recovery. This means that you can take a tablespace from a clone database to the primary database.

The following is from the Oracle docs:

"The major difference between O/S TSPITR and TSPITR through transportable tablespaces is that for the former you must follow the special procedures for creating clone initialization parameter files, mounting the clone database, etc. O/S TSPITR assumes that the user may place the clone database on the same computer as the primary database; the special clone database commands provide error checks to prevent the corruption of the primary database on the same computer while recovering the clone database.

Performing TSPITR through transportable tablespaces relaxes this requirement. If you restore backups to a different computer separate from the primary database, you can start the clone database as if it were the primary database, using the normal database MOUNT statement instead of the clone database MOUNT statement. If you restore backups on the same computer as the primary database, however, follow the special procedure to create the clone database as described in O/S TSPITR, since this procedure helps prevent accidental corruption of the primary database while recovering the clone database on the same computer."

You can get more information from
http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/server.816/a76993/ostspitr.htm#431137 if you choose.

In order to export a transportable tablespace, you MUST be using Oracle 8i EE. But you can import a transportable tablespace into any Oracle 8i (EE, SE, or PE).

HTH,
Brian

bsidba_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> We are currently running Oracle8i Enterprise
> Edition. I need to setup an additional server
> and I was thinking about going with Oracle8i
> Server because it is MUCH cheaper than the
> Enterprise Edition. However, I was a little
> spooked when I read that Oracle8i Server does not
> support point-in-time tablespace recovery. Does
> this mean that there is absolutely no way to do a
> point-in-time recovery on 8i Server? Doesn’t 8i
> Server have redo log files and archive redo log
> files just like EE? I will be storing important
> data on this server and proper backup/recovery is
> very important. Any information you could
> provide on this matter or other pros/cons on EE
> vs Server would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/