Re: Tool needed: getting data out of the database NOT using EXPORT

From: Chris Cermak <chris.cermak_at_mt.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 22:34:53 GMT

Is this a one time deal, i.e. an upgrade? If so, doing an Oracle migration might be faster but still takes time. Also, the versioning might be a problem. You'll need to check. If it's moving data regularly, Oracle8i has functionality like transportable tablespaces which might help. I've never done it but sounds like it might help. If the databases were the same version there are other options like backing up the database online and restoring the database to another server (as a whole). I don't know the details - hard to comment.

In regards to export, have you used the direct=y option? My experience it improves speed. Also, to separate drive on database server from database files helps.

Chris