Re: how can I check if a index is needed to be rebuild or not?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 19:02:53 +0100

run
analyze index <index name> validate structure

on the affected index.
The results of this operation will be dumped in a table called index_stats. Note: this table has always only the last result. It will show you amongst others
blocks:
the total number of blocks allocated
btree_space:
the total size of the btree in bytes
used_space:
the number of bytes used in the tree
pct_used : the ratio of the previous
distinct_keys
the number of keys in the index
del_lf_rows:
the number of deleted rows

I usually decide on a low pct_used (below 80 percent) or a high number of deleted rows.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA