Re: Oracle vs SQl Server

From: Ted Knijff <knijff_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 21:23:08 GMT

We have been through this. MS-SQL 7.0 crashed with the NT 4.0 on a blue screen. The database was in a mess. Recovery ? Backup tape and re-apply transactions by hand (2000 updates per day) took a whole weekend.

NTFS Crash on Oracle 8.0.5 - loaded backup from tape. Reapplied the archive log files. Back in production, no problem in 1 1/2 hours (admittedly not a fast machine) - (Backup Exec with Oracle agent).

To me the rest of this thread makes no sense. The practical side is : - lots of updates, important data - use Oracle. - no DBA expertise, mainly read-only queries - use MS-SQL or mySql.

Ted

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 11:37:04 GMT, nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam (Nuno Souto) wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 21:16:56 GMT, Robin R Handler
><rrhandle_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>>WordPerfect, Lotus, Netscape, . . . Who do you think will have the
>>database market in five years?
>>

>I heard exactly that same argument five years ago..... Boring.
>
>Cheers
>Nuno Souto
>nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
>http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html

EMail: knijff_at_bigfoot.com Received on Wed Dec 27 2000 - 15:23:08 CST