Re: drop tablespace takes forever

From: Stefan Jahnke <q5665841_at_bonsai.fernuni-hagen.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 17:22:25 +0100

susana73_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to drop a tablespace by 'drop tablespace ts including
> contents' and it hangs for almost 10 hours now. I did not drop the user
> because drop user also takes forever(I ctrl-C it). The tablespace
> contains some object which has many extents which is not good. Does it
> affect? Does 'drop tablespace' actually performs a SQL DELETE or it
> DROP objects one by one?? Any ideas?
>
> The tablespace is about 5GB and about 75% filled. I don't notice any
> performance problem on this instance until I see this.
>
> Thanks,
> Susan
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Hi,

I also think a combination of the before mentioned methods will do it.

  1. Export your data.
  2. Drop the constraints.
  3. Truncate the tables.
  4. Then, drop the tablespaces.

PS: If you have too many extents, you should probably recalculate the physical layout of your tables before you destroy them, since you seem to have a lot of data available to provide you with the necessary information.
Then, rebuild the tablespaces and the schemes with a better layout (I guess you'll end up with bigger extends). Take care of the pc - parameters for your tables.
If you don't size them correctly, it "helps" defragmentation.

ciao
Stefan Received on Wed Dec 27 2000 - 10:22:25 CST