Connection Manager ...

From: Michael Poremski <michael_at_poremski.de>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 22:19:46 +0100

Dear Oracle Experts,

I have a problem and I hope some advanced Oracle Experts in this newsgroup can help me to find the solution. Hopefully, the Problem is simple to solve.

I use the Oracle 8i 8.1.5 EE Database and the Net8 Client.

Problem Description:

A Windows NT 4.0 WEB Server works *between* two firewalls, called in our company a "demilitatrized zone". One firewall controlled the traffic to the Internet (Port 80 = WEB based Applications) the other controlled the traffic to the Company's Intranet. The NT Server should communicate through *static* Ports through the firewall. .

The most common Oracle Problem is, that the Database session is started via Port 1521 (by default) and then the Database sends the answer (the result set, per session) to a *dynamical* generated Port Address. The firewall Administrators won't give me the whole Port Adress Pool, you understand, but that's my Problem.

I haven't any possibility to use other firewalls than the installed. It's a standard firewall without support of Oracle Databases ...

My questions:

I had heared, that the Oracle Connection Manager can be used to establish Database sessions through one static Port. I'm not sure, need I Port Multiplexing or Port Pooling?

Do you have any examples or hints to solve my problem. Is it correct, if i use the CMAN to the same machine than the Database Server. The Net8 Client connect's to a static port though the Firewall and gets the result through one static port?

Or must I install the CMAN on the Machine where the Net8 Client is installed?

How many static ports must I configure to communicate through the Database over CMAN?

Can I tell the Database Server to use a Port in a given range of ports?

Many many thanks for your support!

Best regards and have a nice New Years Eve. Michael Poremski

My Email Address: michael.poremski_at_t-online.de Received on Tue Dec 26 2000 - 15:19:46 CST