Re: Oracle vs SQl Server

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 02:11:39 GMT

Well, yes actually. That was part of the first anti-trust lawsuit against MS. Computer distributors (e.g. Dell, Compaq) had to pay for a copy of Windows for every PC they sold even if the customer did not want Windows. In addition, they used their place in the marketplace to beat the computer distributors over the heads. Basically, if they did not include Windows and office etc. they were not going to get the deal at all or they would have to pay a high price to supply Windows to their customers. This is illegal in the US. You cannot force a retailer (or basically induce them by making an offer they can't refuse) to buy one product based on selling another. Jim

--
"Robin R Handler" <rrhandle_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message

> You are exactly right: " they simply forced the customer to use it "
>
> In article <92b3as$6f61v$2_at_ID-62141.news.dfncis.de>,
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> > That will definitely not be MS. They are now for many years trying to
defeat
> > Oracle and they still didn't succeed.
> > Also they uprooted several other products not because of the quality
of
> > their own products, they simply forced the customer to use it (as you
> > probably are aware in the DOS era OEM were forced by MS to give away
Windows
> > with any new PC, at the expense of the OEM. As you are also probably
aware
> > they uprooted Wordperfect in the Netherlands by almost giving away
Word)
> > So one of the reasons MS will not defeat Oracle, is Oracle is simply
too
> > rich: they will survive such an attack.
> > The only option also for MS to defeat Oracle in the database field, is
> > provide a port of Sqlserver running under Unix: anyone who knows
anything
> > about the capabilities of NT and Win2K knows their scalability is too
> > limited.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >
> > "Robin R Handler" <rrhandle_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > > I think you are all missing something. I have no doubt MS's aim is
> > > product a database as good as for better than Oracle. They uprooted
> > > WordPerfect, Lotus, Netscape, . . . Who do you think will have the
> > > database market in five years?

Oracle