Re: How do I start Oracle 8i???

From: Michael Carton <MikeC_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 13:03:33 -0500

adolph_mendicant_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <8veotd$47j30$3_at_ID-62141.news.dfncis.de>,
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> >
> > All it requires is a little reading of the Getting Started Manual
 before
> > you ramble away.
>
> OK. Where do I get a Getting Started Manual? All I have is a CD with
> a trial version of Oracle 8i Enterprise on it.

It is a part of the distribution of Personal Oracle 8i. Only, it doesn't tell you that or create any shortcuts for the manuals. say what you will, Microsoft knows how to create installation kits and in general be user-friendly. For such a large company with a massive user base and a very important product, Oracle doesn't seem to have come

out of the mainframe days in terms of user friendliness. I was severly pissed off
during the process of installing Oracle on my win98 m/c. (I had to keep going back to it
every few days until I got it right after 2 weeks.) Esp. because I had installed
SQL Server on the same machine a week earlier and it was a breeze. Worked as advertised out of the box and I could connect to it immediately.

> Do you know of any docs that can help me do that? I can't find any on
> Oracle's site, either.

Look for A85314-01.pdf which is the installation guide. Search the Oracle Home and sub-dirs for *.HTM*, *.Txt, *.PDF and *.Doc

--
MikeC

Please reply to the group.