ORACLE Initialization

From: Eric Tanhehco Chua <echua_at_uic.edu>
Date: 24 Dec 2000 08:04:21 GMT

I am a newbie to oracle. I follow the instructions for installation of oracle 8.1.7. I can log into sys and system when I install my database from dbassist. When I restart my system, I get this error

ORA-01033: Oracle initialization or shutdown in progress.

I log in as internal and do a startup mount <dbname>. It looks like the database somes up (or instance).

I try to connect to sys and system and then I get the error. What am I doing worong? I don't understand what I am doing so any explaination would help.

Thanks,

Eric    Received on Sun Dec 24 2000 - 02:04:21 CST