Re: Global Name of Database

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 19:35:17 +0100

First of all you need to do a
select * from global_name
or select * from sys.props$
to verify the actual global database name.

By design the global database name is composed of the db_name and the db_domain parameter.
If the db_domain parameter is missing, sqlnet.ora is being queried for the names.default_domain. If sqlnet.ora doesn't have this definition, before 8i (or 8.1.6) the default of world is used. In later versions there is no default anymore.

As the global name is stored in the control file, changing init.ora parameters is not going to work.

You need to do an
alter database rename global_name to '<new global name>';

Hth and happy holidays,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Buck Turgidson" <jc_buck_at_YAH00.com> wrote in message news:FF416.2731$bU.203836_at_bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> I installed 8.1.6 for linux, and am having trouble connecting over SQLNet.
 The Configuration Assistant is asking for the Service
> Name which it says is usually the Global Name. The Global Name on the
 instance somehow ended up being OINSTALL.US.ORACLE.COM.

> When I use that, or what I think it should be on my network, I always get
>
> Connecting...ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given
 in connect descriptor
> The test did not succeed.
>
> Some of the information you provided may be incorrect.
> Press Back to review the information provided for net service name, or
 Change Login to change username.