Re: Help needed with weird select

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 21:09:22 -0000

It's another option for the analytic functions (8.1.6) I'm making this up as I go along, so I might get it wrong, but you need something like:

select

    product_id, product_name,
    decode(row_pos,1,substr(product_name,1,1)) from

    (
    select

        product_id, product_name, row_number() over (
            partition by substr(product_name,1,1
            order by product_name
        ) row_pos
    from
        product_list

    )
order by product_name;
--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases

Publishers:  Addison-Wesley
See a first review at:
http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/index.htm#practical_8i
More reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

joebob wrote in message <977518916.951122_at_news.zipcon.net>...
Thanks for your response David.  I don't know if this will work for me
because basically I need to get the data from the output of a select, or a
view.  -joebob