Re: 61-62 second hangs over sql*net (805 to 8162 and 816 to 8162)

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 22:24:26 -0000

Could this be an effect of the algorithm used to minimise network traffic ( ?? the Nagle algorithm).

At some layer in the protocol the if a small message is to be sent the system waits in case there is further data to go before sending the message.

Depending on versions of Oracle and operating system there are a couple of parameters scattered around the place that can be set - the names are something like 'tcp_nowait' or 'tcp_wait_time'. Sorry I can't be more specific.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases

Publishers:  Addison-Wesley
See a first review at:
http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/index.htm#practical_8i
More reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html