Re: Why tot parses <> executions in bstat/estat #s?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 20:51:12 -0000

declare

    mv varchar2(32);
begin

    for i in 1..10 loop

        select user into mv from dual;
    end loop;
end;
.

Execute this, and you parse

    select user from dual
once, but execute it 10 times.
Parses will go up by 1, executes will go up by 10.

PL/SQL, OCI. and Pro*3gl programs all have the ability to re-execute without reparsing.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases

Publishers:  Addison-Wesley
See a first review at:
http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/index.htm#practical_8i
More reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html