How fo you return the SECOND highest record?

From: <vivarin_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 01:22:54 GMT

I am stumped and would appreciate it if anyone could help me. Perhaps the answer is obvious. Anyways, I have a table with 3 columns like so:

  1. (numeric unique key) PK
  2. (dateime) DATE
  3. (number) NUM

The 3rd column, is NOT unique.

Anyways, I want to return all recordsets that have the second most recent DATE grouped by NUM, as opposed to the most recent date. I've tried various ways to join a table to itself but I'm finding myself running into syntactical
difficulties. I know you can use a subquery with a NOT IN clause, but I want to avoid that, and perhaps use an outer join. Anyways, any help would definitely be appreciated!!! Thanks

JJY Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Dec 21 2000 - 19:22:54 CST