Re: Convert Oracle data to EXCEL

From: <elkadiki_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:10:00 GMT

Hi,

Yes, that will work well. For another, free "no strings attached" ODBC solution, you can consider XLODBC which allows retrieving data thru a macro and works well if you are a programmer. This solution works well with Pivot tables as well. Here's an example of a subroutine that's called from a "spreadsheet open" event handler:

Sub RetrieveData()

    Dim Chan As Variant
    Dim SqlString As Variant ' A variant instead of string allows for larger SQL queries

    ' Establish a connection to DBNAME given user ID and password     Chan = SQLOpen("DSN=<DBNAME>;UID=<USER>;PWD=<PASS>")

    ' If there was a problem establishing a connection,
    ' SQLOpen will return an error to the variable Chan. If
    ' Chan is an error then call the procedure
    ' XLODBCErrHandler to display the error message.
    If IsError(Chan) Then
        XLODBCErrHandler
        Exit Sub

    End If

    'Call GetSQLQuery to get an SQL query string     SqlString = GetSQLQuery

    Debug.Print SqlString

    ' Execute a query to retrieve the data     SQLExecQuery Chan, SqlString

    ' Return the data to cell A1 on the active sheet.     SQLRetrieve Chan, ActiveSheet.Range("A1"), , , True

    ' Close the connection to the data source.     SQLClose (Chan)

End Sub

Good day,

Sal Elkadiki
sal_at_canterex.com

In article <91qa15$s4n$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   gjlinker_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> To avoid all the hassles to plonk the data into csv files and read
 them
> back in I wrote SQL*XL, the Oracle to Excel link.
>
> SQL*XL adds a new menu item to Excel. In a dialog box you type your
 SQL
> and the data flows directly into your spreadsheet. All nicely
 formatted
> and fully integrated with Excel. You can use Excel cells in queries,
> prepare your SQL on spreadsheets, etc, etc.
>
> SQL*XL is available from www.oraxcel.com
>
> Download your free copy now! http://www.oraxcel.com/projects/sqlxl
>
> Kind regards, Gerrit-Jan Linker
>
> In article <91bmro$mks$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> elkadiki_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > You can separate your results with a comma, i.e.:
> >
> > select col1, ",", col2, "," col3 from table .....
> >
> > Then you can rename your output to <file_name>.csv and Excel will be
> > able to open as a "Comma Delimited File" or CSV.
> >
> > So, SQL*Plus will work with this solution. Also, if you can get
 SQL-
> > Navigator by Quest software you can export to a file in CSV.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Sal Elkadiki
> > E-mail: elkadiki_at_hotmail.com
> >
> > In article <919fnh$sn5$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > amycooley_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > > Anyone knows how you can convert Oracle data to Excel ? SQL Plus
 is
> > > not very user friendly. Thanks.
> > >
> > > Amy Cooley
> > >
> > > Sent via Deja.com