Re: When do I need "64-bit Oracle"?

From: Allan Plesniarski <aplesnia_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:49:04 GMT

I know for a fact that there are 32 and 64 bit versions of Oracle for HP, so there must be separate versions for AIX. Typically the 32 bit version is the standard.

Both 32 and 64 bit versions will run on a 64 bit O/S.

The limitation of the 32 bit Oracle version is that shared memory and thus the SGA is limited to 2.25 GB on AIX (1.75 GB on HP/UX). If you require shared memory beyond that, go with the 64 bit version.

I was involved in some testing a while back that benchmarked a high volume batch system on both 32 and 64 bit Oracle. Despite being able to use a larger SGA, 64 bit Oracle actually ran a bit slower than 32 bit.

In article <91qia8$35r$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   tgphelps50_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I run Oracle on IBM RS/6000 servers. I've always used the 32-bit
> version, because that's what kind of servers I've had. But I just
> ordered a model M80 server, and the docs I've seen say that this is
> an "rs64" architecture, which apparently means it's a "64-bit
 machine".

> My questions are:
>
> 1. There is both a 32-bit AND a 64-bit version of Oracle for AIX,
 isn't
> there?
>
> 2. If so, then which version should I use for the M80 server?
>
> 3. Will either version of Oracle run on the M80? I presume so, unless
> hear otherwise.
>
> If you can answer any of these questions, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Wed Dec 20 2000 - 11:49:04 CST