Re: What is parse -vs- hard parse?

From: <jdarrah_co_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 19:49:53 GMT

Soft parse means that the application is using bind variables. A soft parse occurres when two users request either a) the exact same statement or b) the statements differ only in their bind variables. When a soft parse occures only the permissions are checked. The execution plan is resued and the syntax of the sql is not so a soft parse is much less cpu intensive than a hard parse. Your soft to hard parse ratio looks good.

In article <91qulm$eo0$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   H2oStyle <sdempsey_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> I'm working with a system running Ora 8.1.5.00 Ent. Ed.
> bstat/estat reports:
> 108,572 total parses and
> 3,572 hard parses
> for 224632 executions of SQL statements
>
> I'm clear on what hard parses are, but what are the others?
> Or rather what is going on during a non hard parse?
>
> And is there something to infer from the ratio of these "soft" parses
> to executes(96.6%)? FYI, the application is not using bind vars, yet.
> I read somewhere that Oracle reparses every sql statement that has
> literals in the where clause. If that's true, I wonder if they
> meant "soft" vs hard parse?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Scott
>
> Sent via Deja.com