What is parse -vs- hard parse?

From: H2oStyle <sdempsey_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:44:09 GMT

I'm working with a system running Ora 8.1.5.00 Ent. Ed. bstat/estat reports:
108,572 total parses and
  3,572 hard parses
for 224632 executions of SQL statements

I'm clear on what hard parses are, but what are the others? Or rather what is going on during a non hard parse?

And is there something to infer from the ratio of these "soft" parses to executes(96.6%)? FYI, the application is not using bind vars, yet. I read somewhere that Oracle reparses every sql statement that has literals in the where clause. If that's true, I wonder if they meant "soft" vs hard parse?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Wed Dec 20 2000 - 12:44:09 CST