Re: Oracle Names Server

From: Taki Pioy <nospam_at_localhost.spamwarn>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:46:01 +0100

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:91qr14$4pm1t$4_at_ID-62141.news.dfncis.de...
> Answers embedded
> I've read somewhere it will be replaced by LDAP in 9i.
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>

> <dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone use the Oracle Names Server?
> Used it in the past, now on a webserver no need for it (The webserver is
 on
> the same server as the database)
>
> > How many client systems do you need before it becomes fesable?
>
> If you have a situation where developers start assembling their own
> tnsnames.ora, two clients is already sufficient, and anything above 10
> mandatory.

Only two or ten clients? Wow, we have hundereds and no Names server :-)

How do you mean, "assembling their own"? When new application software arrives that requires the Oracle Client/networking products, we always have to assemble our own sql*net config. (using easy config, net assist, notepad or vi) and then "copy" the file to each client.

> > How difficult is it to configure?
>
> Depends on version. In Oracle 7 it is somewhat difficult, Oracle 8 just
 use
> the Net8 assistant and click away and you are done.

Doesn't the use of Names require a sqlnet.ora file on each client?

Regards
/Fad Received on Wed Dec 20 2000 - 15:46:01 CST