Re: Enterprise 8i on linux - default dba?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:45:09 -0000

as oulined in sybrands post sys is more powerful than system. sys/internal - you can think of them as the same account for most purposes - has sysdba privileges, whereas system doesn't. This means for example that sys can startup/shutdown the db and perform incomplete recovery - system cannot.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
<gerald_bastin_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Is certainly the first question I have asked to myself when I saw the
> login screen. I have a nice database but how can I log to it ?
> There is 2 buit-in users with Oracle
> system with password manager
> sys with password change_on_install
>
> System seems to have more rights than sys so he is more powerful.
>
> I don't know more, I am a newbie trying to understand the great world
> of Oracle !
>
> Regards
>
> GĂ©rald Bastin
>
> In article <3a40582f_at_monitor.lanset.com>,
> "John McClain" <jmcclain1_at_lanset.com> wrote:
> > I have installed enterprise 8i on suse linux 7.0. The install appears
> > have been successfull. ( how can I really tell for sure??)
> > BUT, I would like to have access to the database I just installed!
> > Throughout the entire isntall process ( using the universal
installer) I
> > never once was give a user and password for a login to sqlplus.
Should there