Oracle Names Server

From: <dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:20:04 GMT

Does anyone use the Oracle Names Server? How many client systems do you need before it becomes fesable? How difficult is it to configure?
How do you test changes before making a change for everyone? How do you insulate your ODBC users so they don't have to change their ODBC connection when you make an Oracle Names change? Are there any good ways to learn more? (I have always had trouble reading SQL*Net documentation)

We have about a half-dozen client servers, a couple of test servers, and a dozen individual workstations with Net8 installed (developers, for example). Several times per year we add a new host server or change an instance name. Afterward we get calls from people we weren't even aware were accessing a particular Oracle.

Thanks for your input.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.