Re: pls help w/data backup

From: Michael Olcott <molcott642_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 04:11:51 GMT

In article <lZU%5.6717$l2.745518_at_newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,   "rmartes" <rmartes_at_usa.net> wrote:
> I am currently taking courses to get certified in Oracle. However, I
 am
> having problems getting backup data files into my Windows 2000
 Professional
> box. My boss gave a copy of the data files on a DDS-3 format. The
 backup
> data was copied for a Unix Sun Microsystems box. It is possible to
 still
> copy the data files into my box at home? If so, what will I need?
 Is there
> an easier way to get data files? Maybe copying files into my local
 computer
> than transferring into tape to take home. Please help. Thanks.

Your boss could have used any of at least three methods to put the data on tape (tar, dd, ufsdump (because its a sun) to name a few). Not that that really matters much because you probably don't have the right kind of tape device at home and if you do you almost definately don't have the right software on your 2000 box to read that tape. So while where there is a will there is a way, there are generally easier ways to move data around than jumping through those particular hoops.

Number one easiest way to get data from the source Sun box to your Windows 2000 box would be ftp. The easiest way to ftp it would be to use a shareware ftp client you can nab off the net somewhere. But your box is at home and for that to work you will need some kind of access to your office; presumably over dialup or some form of vpn access. The size of the data becomes an obvious issue there. If you don't have any kind of remote access, and the size of the data files are non trivial, you might think about bringing your box in for a field trip. You could also think about using a spare hard drive you have laying around. Zip drives comes to mind. How about Jaz. Just about anything I can think of would be easier than a tape created on an OS that MS does not get along with too well.... Or, and this is just a rant, you could load linux on your home box, get a copy of 8i, bring a tape drive home for a few hours, and rock and roll...

Have fun,
Mike

--
Consultant: UNIX/NT Admin/Programmer Perl/C/C++
molcott642_at_earthlink.net

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/