Re: Reusing name of rollback segment

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:46:05 GMT

In our last gripping episode ashish25_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi Steve,
> Read your article on Rollback segments.Why will it cause recovery
> problems??Please explain.
> Thanks and Regards,
> Ashish
>
> In article <3a3f0179.356018477_at_nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>,
> steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au (Steve Adams) wrote:
> > Hi Jonathan,
> >
> > The only other routine time when UNDO$ is updated is when rollback
 segments are
> > brought online or taken offline.
> >
> > @ Regards,
> > @ Steve Adams
> > @ http://www.ixora.com.au/
> > @ http://www.christianity.net.au/

 <3a399726.1119509_at_nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>...
> > >Hi Jonathan,
> > >
> > >No, that explanation does not do it, because the undo segment
 number
 is
 normally
> > >reused for the new rollback segment regardless of its name.
 See "Reusing

 http://www.ixora.com.au/q+a/0011/10143326.htm  for
> > >more.
> > >
> > >@ Regards,
> > >@ Steve Adams
> > >@ http://www.ixora.com.au/
> > >@ http://www.christianity.net.au/
> >

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Steve Adams never stated that reusing rollback segment names will cause recovery problems. That was part of the original question which was listed at the bottom of the response. A bit backward, to list the question last, but it is clearly separated from the response and marked with a '?'.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com