Quick question about variable substitutions

From: antje <nastjenka_at_uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:36:46 GMT

I am still pretty new to Oracle, and I am having problems finding a way to prompt the users for variable information. In SQL *Plus you can do this by using the ampersand. for example:

select employee_name from employees where start_date='&Start_date';

Unfortunately, this only works in SQL *Plus. I get the error "a nonnumeric  character was found where a numeric was expected" if I try the same query in Oracle SQL Worksheet. Is there a way in other applications, such as SQL worksheet, to prompt the users to enter in certain parameters? I searched this newgroup, and FAQ's and could not find anything other than the Ampersand syntax.

Specifics:
The query that I would be using that would prompt the user would be similar to the above example.

Currently using:
Oracle8i Release 8.1.6.0.0

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Nicole