Re: Copying & resizing schema between dbs?

From: Richard Sutherland <rsutherland_at_In-Touch.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 04:19:21 -0500

ak <a_at_k.com> wrote in message news:Q4i%5.4206$%v1.137480_at_ozemail.com.au...
> Hi,
>
> I want to create all the objects that are present under a user in one
> database into another database, without data. The twist is that in the
> source database, the objects are very large, and I want to resize them in
> the target database.
>
> I tried exporting the user with rows=n, but found that the initial extent
> for these objects is set to the actual size of the object in the source,
 so
> there's no benefit.
>
> I tried creating a DDL file from the export file using indexfile=..., and
> started changing the storage clauses manually, but there's way too many
> clauses to change.
>
> Is there a simpler way for me to copy the schema, without data, and
 default
> the storage clauses to something smaller? Even if I have to change them
 all
> to the same size, and then expand them as required, it would be OK.
>
> Thanx for any help.
>
> -a

See the Perl module DDL::Oracle, available on the CPAN (www.CPAN.org) and at www.sourceforge.net/projects/ddl-oracle. It was built with this kind of need in mind.

It has options for generating DDL with its or your own sizing algorithm, and for including/omiting the schema (or for specifying a new one). If you just want an arbitrarily small, uniform object size, you could give it a "sizing string" of something like 'UNLIMITED:2K:2K', and it will generate the DDL for a specified list of objects, making all extents 2K.

Richard Sutherland
rvsutherland_at_yahoo.com Received on Mon Dec 18 2000 - 03:19:21 CST