Re: Parallel servers on normal queries

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 10:55:28 GMT

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:14:24 +0800, "Great Oracle" <greatoracle_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Will it help if I have a 4CPU server, 2GB ram, NT 4.0 and enable the
>parallel_max_server=100 and parallel_min_server=80 whereas all of the tables
>queries are not programmed with parallel query option?

Not unless you're doing full table scans in all queries. Which you shouldn't have anyway...

>Any other parameters that can help my oracle db to speed up apart from
>rearranging the hardware? I have thrown in MTS, big big SGA, shared_pool,
>log buffer, db_block_buffers etc. Thanks in advance.

In NT you might be well advised to look into your disk config. That's the biggest bottleneck I've seen in NT systems. Fire off the NT monitor. If any disk has an average queue length >= 2 during normal load, you should be looking at the disks/controllers, not memory/CPU.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Sun Dec 17 2000 - 04:55:28 CST