Re: incomplete recovery question

From: <steveee_ca_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:33:25 GMT

In article <084%5.5569$Sl.285184_at_iad-read.news.verio.net>,   "Legend" <legend_at_spacelab.net> wrote:
> Okay.. I think I got it but I want to double check again. You mean in
 cases
> when recovering lost files, I must use the backup controlfile which
 contain
> the lost file info. If I were to recover a lost table, I can use the
 current
> control file or a backup control file?
>
> Benny

Hi Benny,
You're asking two questions ...first, to recover a lost datafile you don't use an old controlfile..however, to recover a dropped table, you must restore using a controlfile that's old enough to show that table existing..this makes sense if you think about it..if the table is gone, a current control file won't show it as existing..you must recover up to a point just before the table was dropped.

Hope this helps,

Steve

> > You can do incomplete recovery to recover from different failures.
> > Using it to recover a lost file is one of them. Other scenarios
 could
> > be when a table is dropped or prior to a corruption of the database
> > etc. So if you are doing incomplete recovery to recover a lost file
> > then you must use the backup controlfile; not any backup controlfile
> > but one which has the information about the lost file. All other
 cases
> > you can use current controlfile. Thing to remember is all datafiles
 and
> > only the datafiles (but neither controlfiles nor online redolog
 files)
> > from a backup should be restored before trying the incomplete
 recovery.
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > raghuvir
> >

> > In article <wqW_5.5531$Sl.283445_at_iad-read.news.verio.net>,
> > "Legend" <legend_at_spacelab.net> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am currently working as a Sybase DBA while also picking up some
 Oracle DBA
> > > work load as well. The first thing I must learn is
 backup/recovery. I
 am
> > > reading the Backup and Recovery handbook and have a couple of
 questions that
> > > I am not too sure. I hope someone can shed some lights on.
> > >
> > > In the incomplete database recovery, is it necessary to use the
 backup
> > > control file? In page 272-273, it gives an example with T1 and T2
 time. T1
> > > => full backup, T2 => lost a file. If I want to recover the "lost"
 file, I
> > > must use the backup controlfile to recover until <time>. However,
 in
 another
> > > example in page 279 step(2), it gave a checklist and said "you can
 use the
> > > current control file" to do an incomplete recovery.
> > >
> > > Someone told me that if I want to do an incomplete recovery, I
 must
 use the
> > > backup control file because the current control file contains the
 current
> > > SCN which does not allow to be "rolled back" to an earier number
 which is in
> > > the case of performing point-in-time recovery. What confuses me in
 the
> > > second example is that it uses "alter database open resetlogs" at
 the
 end.
> > > This also sounds logical to me because it resets the SCN in all
 the
 places.

> > > Am I confusing myself or thinking too much? :-)
> > >
> > > Thank you very much,
> > >
> > > Benny
> > >

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/