Re: OLTP and DSS on one server

From: <dellera_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 14:34:50 GMT

In article <3a388b9c_2_at_news2.prserv.net>,   "Robert Friedl" <rfriedl_at_softwareengineering.de> wrote:
> I want to run a OLTP and a DSS on one server-hardware (1 GB RAM, 40 GB
 HDD
> RAID5, 2 Pentium III Processors).
> The DSS (data Warehouse) has 2 fact tables with 400000 records each
 one and
> the OLTP-System has to serve up to 100 Users. I'm using Oracle Version
> 8.1.5.
>
> What's better ?
>
> 1.) Create two Oracle 8i Instances and run each system on an own
 instance
> (each instance has less SGA memory then it would have using only one
> instance)
>
> or
>
> 2.) Create one Oracle 8i Instance and locate the two applications in
 an own
> schema. (one user for dss and one user for oltp)

OLTP and DWH applications requires completely different parameters for the instance/database. For example, DB_BLOCK SIZE is normally small in an OLTP (2k-4k-8k) because you want to mimimise the response time for users, but for DWH is normally high (even 64k if I recall correctly) to maximise throughput. Since DB_BLOCK_SIZE is a physical characteristic of the database, you should have two different instances.

My Linux Oracle comes with two different examples of initSID.ora files, one for OLTP and the other for DWH. You could take a look at them to have more infos (I think they come with every Oracle version, not only Linux).

Also check the oracle docs in OTN.

HTH
alberto

Sent via Deja.com