Re: logminer

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:56:26 -0000

Log miner reads and interprets the redo logs, even when the database is not open.

You cannot use it to find queries, only the effects of inserts, updates, and deletes. and then not the SQL used to do the job, only SQL that emulates the effects.

It does not, in principal, affect the performance of the database directly - however it obviously has to use CPU and disk accesses, so has some marginal effect on performance: in much the same way as running an awk script against a large file would have.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases

Publishers:  Addison-Wesley
See a first review at:
http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/index.htm#practical_8i
More reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html