Re: Reusing name of rollback segment

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:53:17 -0000

This may be related to monitoring -

If you drop and recreate a rollback segment reusing the same name, you will end up re-using the same undo number (undo$.us#) for the rollback segment.

If you do this, then the statistics in v$rollstat for that rollback segment will still exist in memory, and will be reported as if they applied to the new rollback segment (though they will clear down when the database is shut down).

If your reason for dropping the rollback segment was to make a clean start on statistics without re-starting the database, then using the same name defeats the purpose of the exercise.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases

Publishers:  Addison-Wesley
Book bound date: 8th Dec 2000
See a first review at:
http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/index.htm#practical_8i