Re: SGA Sizing

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:31:40 GMT

> > Everything depends on the size of youre database. In general; how bigger the
> > database is, more SGA you should foresee. It is also important to know the
> > number of user that will connect simultanously.
> >
> > In the Oracle Documentation you can find some good explanation.
>
> Is that so? As far as I have found this only applies to old Oracle documentation
> (as in: Oracle7). Would you have a reference to a recent description for this
> kind of sizing?

This is still true. The Oracle 8i Designing and Tuning for Performance manual describes in detail how to tune the SGA. As the previous poster said, it really "depends on the size of your database." And as Sybrand said, "One third of physical memory is the rule of thumb." Both of these statements are correct. In the end, one wants to strike a balance. The SGA needs to be big enough to handle the load of your database, but not too big that it is getting paged out of system memory.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at