Re: Newbie problem: I can't start OEM !

From: Michael O'Neill <mjoneill_at_email.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 04:24:18 GMT

> Hi all,
>
> My background in Oracle is very limited, so please forgive me if this
> question is really stupid...
> I installed Oracle enterprise edition 8.1.6 under Win2k workstation,
> using typical installation. The database name and SID were named as
> db01. After installation, I started the OEM and it prompted for
> choosing Managemnet Server. My computer name is WIN2K01 so I entered
> this name. I logged in using administrator as sys and password was
> change_on_intall. It gave VTK-1000 error. Then I tried
> system/manager but the same error came out.
> Then I checked the OracleOraHome81ManagementServer service. I Tried
> to start it but it gived Error 997: Overlapped I/O operation in
> progress. I don't have other clues to start it....
>
> So, what is the initial step to login into OEM ? I lookup a number of
> Oracle book but I can't find a book to give installation walkthrough
> of Oracle 8i. Any good suggestion ?

The username/passwords you have tried are for the database (db01) itself.

What you want to log into is the OMS (oracle management server), which is a different entity, entirely. The initial username and password is stated in the instruction manual. It's been so long since I installed it, but I can assure you it is there.

--
Michael O'Neill
mjoneill_at_email.com