Re: how to estimate space saved with index reuild

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:09:34 GMT

Allan,

If you have such a short window to backup your db, have you considered Hot backups? Or using RMAN to backup at the block level? With either of these methods, you do not have to backup the entire database. You can back up the database in portions. By spreading backups over 5 days, you can average only 10GB of data being backed up each day. This will be much quicker to zip.

HTH,
Brian

Allan Plesniarski wrote:

> The tar|gzip is used for cloning production to reporting, and backup
> purposes. My first thought was to use export/import for this as well,
> until the time constraints were made evident. BTW, this is a 7.3.4.4
> environment.
>
> There are a lot of batch runs that consume processing time every night,
> and they must all complete before users start to sign on in the morning
> in order to meet service level agreements. Would you believe the backup
> window is 10 minutes? How can this be achieved with a 50GB database?
>
> Enter Veritas. The environment is on Sun running Veritas filesystem.
> Veritas has the ability to take a block level snapshot of files. The
> production database is shut down, and Veritas initializes a user
> configurable staging area where block changes will be kept. This takes
> approx 10 min for a 2GB staging area. The production database can then
> be brought up. A tar|gzip of what appear to be cold database files is
> taken from the snapshot. Veritas reads the blocks for the tar|gzip from
> either the actual database files if they have not been changed, or from
> the snapshot if they have been changed.
>
> The initial problem still exists, how to shorten the tar|gzip time
> so it does not contend for resources with other jobs.
>
> Allan
>
> In article <913ima$2pg3r$5_at_ID-62141.news.dfncis.de>,
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> > export the database, indexes are not exported.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >
> > "Allan Plesniarski" <aplesnia_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi, we have a tar|gzip of a production database that takes too long.
> > > One suggestion for shortening the time is to rebuild the indexes,
> > > thereby removing the deleted nodes and shortening the tar|gzip time.
> > > In order to do a cost/benefit analysis, how does one estimate the
> > > amount of space freed after rebuilding an index?
> > >
> > > Any other way to speed up a tar|gzip?
> > > Database size is approx 50 GB.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Allan