Re: Hypothetical questions

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:14:39 GMT

> varchar <-> char
>
> the main difference is that
> varchar has a non-fixed length
> char has a fixed length

True, but a little misleading. If I have two fields, one is VARCHAR2(20) and the other is CHAR(20) and I put the same string in both fields (i.e. "DEJA" as in your example), then they are not the same. "DEJA" put into the VARCHAR field will simply be "DEJA". But "DEJA" put into the CHAR

field will be "DEJA                " with 16 blanks at the end! To me,
this means that "varchar <-> char" is not an accurate statement.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at