Re: Error writing to alert log

From: Luggy <dave_at_oracle-consultant.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:31:43 GMT

Hi.

Sorry if this is a bit fundamental, but make sure you've checked the following:

  1. Ensure that you don't have background_dump_dest twice in the INIT<SID>.ORA (always best to do an editor search, just to make sure).
  2. Have you got an IFILE parameter within the INIT<SID>.ORA, which points to another INIT.ORA/CONFIG.ORA file?

Maybe you could post your INIT.ORA for us to look at.

Dave Henderson.

In article <976613403.26114.0.nnrp-01.c2de4003_at_news.demon.co.uk>,   "Orlando" <orlandosc_at_hotmail.comREMOVE> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> No I thought of that, sadly not the cause. This is getting more
 frustrating
> by the day.
>
> Tnx
> Orlando
>
> "Carla Ghekière" <carla.ghekiere_at_clt.kuleuven.ac.be> words of wisdom
 were:
> > Maybe you have two different parameter files (INIT<SID>.ORA) and
 now a
> > second one is started?
> >
> > > Have a small problem that I need to get to the bottom of.
> > >
> > > Ever since I had to restart my server last week, no events have
 been
 written
> > > to the alert log, well that's not true they are but Oracle is
 trying to
> > > write them to an alert log in a strange location. That being
> > >
> > > ../../oracle/admin/admin/<db_name>/bdump/alert_<dbname>.log N.B.
 the
 extra
> > > admin directory.
> > >
> > > The background_dump_dest points to the correct location in
 init.ora as
 does

--
Any opinions expressed in the above posting are entirely factual and obj
Please do not argue with me, as my Dad is bigger than your Dad.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.