Tuning Checklist & Software / Spotlight on Oracle

From: <dmnwork_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 20:02:44 GMT

Can someone point me to a good Oracle tuning checklist? I want to do performance reviews of several Oracle databases running on different OSes and different versions of Oracle.

What tool would I use to collect statistics / build a benchmark over, say, a week's time? (buffer cache hit ratio, etc) I want to have a standard by which to measure any tweaks I make. Trying not to reinvent the wheel. Any freeware stuff out there? What do people think of Quest Software's "Spotlight On Oracle?"

Does the act of monitoring an Oracle database skew the performance results?

What's *the* best perf tuning book for Oracle 8+? I've got Niemiec's Oracle Press book "Oracle Performance Tuning." Wish O'Reilly would take the time to update their Oracle tuning book; haven't read it, but I've heard it only covers 7.3.

Thanks a million.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Dec 12 2000 - 14:02:44 CST